don't change your air filter!

>i may also vise-grip off my starter (canNOT find triple-square keys
>anywhere...) and take it to the auto place for a test...

I bought a set of Torx (star) bit yesterday when I found that the bolts were
not allen keys. Worked well, but be careful. It wasnt till it was out that I
realised what it was....

>did find some wierd unconnected hoses today, a mouse hole in the  bottom of
>the airbox (little teethmarks round the edge), rust, almost  broken wires
>that I reconnected, etc.  so maybe not bad in the end.

>has some bolts through it - the bottom-most one is missing on  my housing -
>is this a problem?

The bolts secure the metal work attached to the engine to seal off the
clutch housing from the elements (weather). MKI is a 10mm bolt and the MKII
is 12mm.
(Thanks for reminding me. I forgot to put them back in after a clutch job
yesterday.)