don't change your air filter!

On 8:34:47 pm 11/05/05 Blake Irvin <blake@clockserver.homeip.net> wrote:
> i just did my on my 16v and now the car will not start/turn over
>
> checked all fuses under dash - ok
>
> disassembled most of the relays under dash - look OK
>
> fuel pump relay makes a buzzing sound (see small sparks as gate
> opens/ closes rapidly) but i hear the fuel pump still turning
>
> engine does not even attempt to turn over - starter looks like a
> relatively new part.
>

> maybe the solenoid?  still working on testing out voltages as the
> bentley recommends.

Well, under the airbox, for some top secret reason, is the main ground to
the frame. Perhaps you knocked it loose, it may have been nearly rotted off
if original. It's a stellar corrosion trap. There's also a big ground wire
from there that runs to the tranny. Either of these could easily cause a no
start. If it were me? I'd check them, and also the small wires on the
starter and the coil, they are easily knocked loose. Actually, I'm a lazy
ass, I'd probably hook a jumper cable from negative on the battery to the
tranny housing, and see if that does the trick, then I'd go through the fun
of cleaning it up. (check that the hookups to the battery are sound and
tight too)

Cathy
Sister of the Church of the Free Electron