How did you get your first....

When I was a kid, my grandfather had Karmann Ghias.  I -always- loved the
sound of that motor when we would go sight-seeing in that thriving
metropolis, Big Spring TX.  One day when I was like 7, I asked my
grandfather if I could have his car when I started to drive.  Turns out my
brother had asked just the day before!  DOH!

Well, the brother had it for at least two years and loved it, but bitched
about the wind blowing him all over the road.  Not long after that
complaint, it got totaled in a parking lot by a Cadillac.  A damn shame,
less than 100K on the clock, and it looked like 25K...

Spring forward many years, and after two 80s Cutlasses (someone say
something about the gangster/pimp look?).  I was getting bored with the
second Cutlass, it did not handle!  I saw a Silver A1 GTI in town, tinted,
and I thought that was just the car I needed to look at.  I searched around
in town and found one at the dealership which I would work at 11 years
later.  I took it for a spin, and I loved it!  Dad was not impressed when I
showed him, but what the hell?  I talked them down to 3500, with 74K on the
clock (back in 91-92).  -I- liked it because it was sporty,  had good looks,
and most of all, it had -good-handling-.  I did the deal and enjoyed that
car SO much.  I drove it for a few years before blowing a headgasket and
parking it, eventually sold it to my best friend.  Bought it back a year
later.  I actually owned a '74 Beetle during the lean years.  Now I am
driving that very GTI I saw years ago, I ended up becoming good friends with
that cars owner.  Been driving that for the last 4 years.

A1s are where it is at for me.  I have had a few Scircoccos, none that I
have driven steadily.  I like them overall, but they are just a -wee- bit
heavy for my tastes.  I -would- have a mk1 if money were no object, but
since it is....

David