How did you get your first....

Early summer, 1983.  Senior year in high school coming in the fall.  My
karate teacher's friend stopped in during one of our lessons and they
started yapping about his "project" Mustang, a late 60's primered clunker
that was never to reach his driveway.  The visitor yapped, "Yeah, but
Cindy's Scirocco is fast, too."

"Yeah, that car really flies.  Gives the Mustang a good run for the money."

And so on...all I could hear was "Scirocco"
"Scirocco"
I didn't even know what they were.  I was just intrigued by the name.  I had
to have one.

My dad made the same deal my older brother and sisters: he would match the
amount of money I saved towards my first car and pay for the first year's
insurance.  Sounded good to me.

He didn't want me to get a "foreign" car (that's what we called 'em back
then, kids).  If I bought one, there was to be no deal.  I wanted the
Scirocco.  Had to go it alone.

I paid $700 for the beast, a silver 75 5 speed, with the Zenith carb from
hell and doors whose rusty bottoms looked like the hull of the Titanic after
being stitched by that iceberg.  The passenger side motor mount bracket (the
part on the frame) had previously busted off and been welded back on.  A few
trips up and down the driveway by a 17 year old who had never seen a clutch
before and it was off to get re-welded.

That was the beginning.  She was my first, the best and worst car I ever
owned.  I have the whole thing chronicled in a yellowed notebook, along with
the receipts.  I brought it to Cincy this past summer but never got around
to sharing it with anyone.

Jim