[16v] Newbie (of sorts), with questions.

I'd still suggest getting a hardcopy Bentley.  Because
the PDF file will be good for longterm usage and
printing and so forth.  But there is nothing like a
book you can take to the bathroom while you are
searching for info.  A PDF file just becomes tiresome
to slog through.  Plus, you won't be such a hack for
getting the PDF.

I'll keep giving some thought to your issues.
Indications to me, due to low power when you need
torque (1st/2nd), are a timing issue.  I would not be
surprised if the timing was never properly adjusted.
Could be the distributor, could be the way everything
is set.  If worse comes to worse, make sure you find a
reputable VW shop (non-dealer) who can get the timing
correct so you can at least rule that out.  I say that
so that if your best efforts to straighten it out fail
you don't give up on the roc.

Yeah, read through stuff again.  All the symptoms you
say indicate timing to me.  I'd say 95%.  Now what
part or adjustment is wrong I can't say at this point.
 In reality, you'd have to know for a certainty that
the timing belt is set properly.  Only then does any
other adjustment or check have any proper weight and
validity.

Someone can check me on that as I am an 8-valver.

-Phil