ot:gametap

Oh don't get me wrong.  I have an UNBELIEVEABLE amount of emulators.
I can fill a couple of DVD-R's with what I have.

I have Commodore 64 emulators, Arcade emulators, Console emulators...
Macintosh emulators (os 7.6.1)

You like newer arcade games?  I have capcom emulators, Neo-Geo...
Marvel Vs Capcom is one of my favorites.  Samurai Showdown 1-4 is
another.

Hopefully you still have the roms.  Mame has advanced quite a bit and
now they even have an arcade OS built on the bones of DOS.  It boots
right into the GUI so if you want to make a cabinet and all that...

However... This goes back to the old problem with not being "legally"
able to have and play these things without having the hardware you are
emulating.  (including game roms)  Now are they going to go after us?
No probably not, is it going to stop the average person from seeking
their misspent youth?  (I know there are a few games I could have
bought a few times over with the cash I dropped in them.)

Alot of these companies are dead now anyway.  I mean... remember
Coleco Vision and the ADAM computer?  I have emulators for that.

My point is that due to the legality issue... SOME games aren't out
there on the net.  Some games are more advanced or too specialized to
be emulated.  Like for example try to find Hard Drivin'  it was the
first 3d atari driving game.  You can find it but it is rather
crippled and the magic isn't there.

The arguement for emulators is a valid one in my opinion.  The
manufacturers of these games ESPECIALLY the older ones... Pac-Man and
the like, whose original name was PUC-MAN btw, but a few enterprising
individuals figured out you could make that P an F with a little bit
of defacing, so they changed it.  Anyhow when they made these older
games the chips they used have a lifespan of about 20 years.  There
are many games that are lost to the ravages of time already.  I think
the companies believed that Pac-Man was a staple of american culture,
we'll still be producing it in 20 years... it's THAT popular.

So back to Gametap... It's a glorified emulator that is legally
acquired the games that are on it.  They want $14.95 a month, with the
first two weeks for free.  Unlimited access.  They don't have many
games though.  Many of the ones that they have aren't that well known
or in my opinion worth a shit.  They do have a few that I dearly love
though and I can't find the roms for.  It covers under one roof, a few
PC games, a few windows games, (like cats 4?!? WTF) most of the Atari
games--but the best atari games were made by Activision anyway--they
don't have activision games; many of the other systems... even Game
Gear.  Sonic for the Game Gear didn't look horrible on my widescreen
laptop.  They have arcade games and a few other Misc ones.  As it is
now I don't think that it's worth $15 a month, I mean add that up for
a year and you have a new clutch.  If they expand the library sure I
would pay that, if nothing else than emu's are a pain to manage, and
they take up a lot of space.  Right now though there isn't much in the
way of good games, but it seems that they are doing it right.

Just my ranting and raving, but then again it's been one of those
weeks.  I found out that my career in the Navy is most definately over
and alot sooner than I expected.  Maybe as soon as DEC 1.  I also
later that same day accepted orders to USS George Washington... a
Nimitz Class Aircraft Carrier and decided I was going to lie to my
docs as that is where my heart is and why I have done this for 12
years.  My wife had to slap me with a dose of reality on that one.  WE
got in a fight and to top it off now my newborn is in the hospital
with a high fever.  I have my four year old and I am on emergency
leave so that is why if you are wondering that I am f'ing around with
video games, trying to keep my mind busy.

Chris

"It's time to embrace the insanity..."

--
85 Scirocco 16v (conversion) Burgundy