CIS idle & Vacuum woes

------- Forwarded message -------
From: wolfsbrg8v@bellsouth.net
To: "Ben Channard" <zeroid@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: CIS idle & Vacuum woes
Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 00:08:05 -0400

On Sun, 29 May 2005 10:50:18 -0400, Ben Channard <zeroid@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I also have a question concerning the vacuum manifold which comes off the intake manifold and
> connects to the brake booster through a rigid plastic tube.  The manifold has two nipples which are
> easily snapped off.  I've repaired these in the past by glopping a collar of JB Weld to hold the
> broken stub.  Can this part be replaced by a couple of T-connectors?  The OEM part has a
> widened, disk-like flared portion where it attaches to the tube going to the booster.  Does this
> contain a valve of some sort which is essential to proper running?

That is the brake servo check valve, it insures that a backfire won't travel into the servo.  I'm having to replace the same part (vac manifold) on my 84 and was advised that VW does sell the check valve seperately, and also the complete manifold including check valve, which is a scirocco-specific part, and rare.  I won't know this for a fact until hitting the dealership later this week.  But I am thinking the same -- failing a new part, use a couple T's of the same bore and keep the existing valve.

Leo