Notes on Cincy

I have some notes on Cincinnati...

(Frank Woods, Former owner of WEBN) could revisit his roots in Cincinnati,
Ohio. Around that time, his father started WEBN 102.7, an FM radio station
in an era when virtually no FM stations were on the air. The younger Wood
decided to work for the radio station, too.

At first, the station played jazz and classical. "A year into it, we were on
a first name basis with all of our listeners, which is not a good thing,"
Wood said. So, in 1972, he was forced to rob the station's pop machine of
thirty dollars worth of dimes, which was just enough to meet loan and
payroll obligations for that pay period. He realized that change was needed
if the station was to survive. His own passion for music became the primary
inspiration: the station began playing rock and roll bands such as Jefferson
Airplane and the Beatles. By 1975 it was a hit.

Working at the station in its early years was fun, Wood said. The station
was "run by a bunch of overqualified, overeducated people who all loved
music," he said. The crew amused themselves by writing bogus advertisements
for products like *Tree Frog Beer* "recommended by hookers and bookies" and
Brute Force Cybernetics, which advertised fictional products such as
Negative Calorie Cookies, the Lost Chord Generation, and 3-D TV. "The
station was very, very funny and eventually gained a cult-like status in
Cincinnati," Wood said.
 There's an old story about Joan Jett playing in Cincinnati and getting
pissed cause she was driving all over town asking for "Tree Frog Beer"...
"It doesn't taste like much but it gets you there faster.", "Made from the
finest waters in Mill Creek" (Mill creek is a concrete spillway that is
known for the large companies like P&G dumping crap illegally.)
 And then there's Skyline... Sigh.