Tell me about sparkplugs...

On NGKs they say right on the box how to properly install them. I think you hand tighten as much as possible, then do a 1/2 turn or so with a wrench. I usually go until it's tight, but not cranked on. Anti-seize is also a very good idea. You have to be careful as the head is soft aluminum and you'll bugger the threads if you really crank down. I change my plugs every once in awhile. Usually after 2 or 3 oil changes (it's supposed to be every 5000mi but they often seem to last me longer). If they're all white and crusty, you're running lean and you need to change them. If they're black and oily but solid, use some super fine sandpaper to wipe that layer of crud off and reinstall.

Dan

Greg Pallett <greg.rocco@gmail.com> wrote:
Just what it says in the subject line. I've had my 'roc for almost 2 years,
and I haven't changed the plugs. How often do you all change yours? I know
it's possible to pull them and "read" the condition of the electrode to get
an idea of how the car is running, right? and I keep hearing horror stories
about breaking the plug off.. how do you remove it w/o that happening?
Thanks for answering the noob's questions.

Greg