Rear Brakes Locking up first

-----Original Message-----
From: scirocco-l-bounces+fahrvegnugen=cox.net@scirocco.org
[mailto:scirocco-l-bounces+fahrvegnugen=cox.net@scirocco.org]On Behalf Of
GREG DUNN
Sent: Wednesday, May 18, 2005 6:45 PM
To: John C. Worden
Cc: Scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Subject: Re: Rear Brakes Locking up first

I have had over 10 A1s, from Rabbits to Sciroccos (MkI, II and II 16V) and
> have never seen this in a single one, or in any of the manuals.  Now on
the
> A2s, yes(and it's pretty cool to able to have some adjustability too).
> You may want to take a peek at your Scirocco-you'll see just the regular
> prop valve(or valves depending on the year) right near the MC.
>
> John

John, I don't want to get into a pissing match, but I have owned over 10 A1s
in the last year alone.  More like 15.  Look in your Bentley in the BRAKE
section - it isn't going to be in the interior or engine section.

gd

Greg,
  I hate to disagree, but I must.  In the effort to educate all those
involved, including myself, I found this in brother Bentley (80-84 A1s)  It
says the following...
Brakes & Wheels, pg 12, section 4.4

  Except on Sciroccos and on 81 and later US built Rabbits and pickups, the
brake pressure regulator is located beneath the vehicle, on the body just
ahead of the rear axle.  This regulator is operated mechanically by a coil
spring attached to the rear axle beam, and can be adjusted if the measured
pressures are incorrect.  On Sciroccos and on 1981 and lter US built Rabbit
and trucks, there is instead a brake proportioning valve in the engine
compartment.  This device can be tested also.  Bit it cannot be adjusted,
and should be replaced if the measured pressures are incorrect.  Neither the
pressure regulator nor the proportioning valve can be repaired, and either
must be replaced as a unit if it is faulty...

SO, we are both right...  As far as experts, they can be wrong just like
anyone else.  This is why I never claim to be one...  :)