alt problems

Julie, my car does something similar.
 When I start it I get a battery light on the dash until I rev it up a
little. This can be the sign of a voltage regulator going bad--or even bad
windings on the alternator.
 It is my understanding and please someone correct me if I am wrong is that
the primary difference between an alternator and a generator is that the
generator has permanent magnets in it and the alternator has TWO sets of
windings. One that gets generates a magnetic field by passing current
through it (from the battery I suppose) and this would replace the perm
magnets in a generator. AC is generated by passing a coil through the
previously mentioned magnetic field. AC is then passed through a bridge
diode pack in the voltage regulator to produce DC at 12v (14v actually isn't
it to charge the battery?) Now if the coils are going or that bridge
rectifier are going then you would need a higher RPM to produce the same
amount of DC.
 Either case unless you want to disassemble the alternator for the diode
pack (which is actually fairly easy to remove) you may be better off getting
a new alternator. Alot of places have lifetime warranties now. You may want
to "upgrade" if you don't already have a 90 amp alternator.
 This may be as simple as a loose belt or a bad ground...
 Full of useless info,
Chris