From: David Utley [mailto:fahrvegnugen@cox.net]
Sent: Tuesday, May 10, 2005 6:06 PM
To: Rick Kellner; 'Scirocco-L'
Subject: Re: Gas Tank Recall - Success Story!

> From: "Rick Kellner" <rfkellner@snet.net>
> Date: 2005/05/10 Tue PM 05:23:09 EDT
> To: "'Scirocco-L'" <Scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
> Subject: Gas Tank Recall - Success Story!
>
> I put my 87 16v back on the road last week.  Mainly to drive it for
the
> summer and partly since my returning collage student would like to
have
> something to drive too (they get the DD Jetta, I get the Scirocco).
> After everything checked out satisfactorily with the car after it's
down
> time, I headed off to fill up the tank.  Well, I could smell gas as
soon
> as I opened the door upon returning from my fill up at the gas
station.
> The tank was not seeping it was dripping!
>
> The next day I called my friendly local VW dealer and asked to speak
> the service manager.  He said he remembered the recall on the tank and
> would look up my VIN to see if it had been done.  After a quick check
he
> said the recall on the car was still 'open'.  We set up an appointment
> for an inspection to make sure the tank was leaking.
>
> I got the call this afternoon from the dealer stating that the tank
was
> indeed leaking and that the repair was approved my VW and that parts
> were ordered.  It may be ready on Thursday however; Friday is more
> likely. I will keep you posted as to the progress and if there are any
> bumps in the road along the way.
> Rick Kellner

Glad to hear your dealership was cool about it!  Perhaps they had an
oldtimer in the shop who was familiar with the cars...  Our shop won't
work on anything older than '92, and often not older than '97...
HOWEVER, they did a gas tank recall within the last year on like an '86.
I would imagine the owner raised Cain and Able to get it done...

Anyways, enough rattling, I am glad to hear it has worked out thus
far...

David

'83 GTI, Daily Driver...
'87 16V, parts car