Engine transplant startup - strange idle

"
I think I determined that my fuel pump relay is not working, but, I have to
make a few more tests to confirm that before I order one.  I can jumper
wires to get the fuel pump to work, and the engine runs better with the pump
working.

It still has an erratic idle speed, from 2200 rpm down to 500 rpm, and it
runs like barf, but it's not stalling with the pump on.

I could have any number of problems, I guess.  Could be a bad pump too,
maybe got dirty?  Who knows.  "

If the fuel pump isn't running, neither will the car.  Period.  I really
doubt it would be causing the problems you indicate.

More likely more vacuum leaks or missing grounds, some sensor not hooked up,
etc.

gd