Engine transplant startup - strange idle

Hi fellow listers.
My brother is just completing an engine transplant on his 79 rocco from the
1.6 to the 1.8 motor.
After fixing all the vacumn leaks we could find he is still experiencing the
following........

"
I think I determined that my fuel pump relay is not working, but, I have to make a few more tests to confirm that before I order one.  I can jumper wires to get the fuel pump to work, and the engine runs better with the pump working.

It still has an erratic idle speed, from 2200 rpm down to 500 rpm, and it runs like barf, but it's not stalling with the pump on.

I could have any number of problems, I guess.  Could be a bad pump too, maybe got dirty?  Who knows.  "

Anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks
Ed  '81 S