need help identifying coolant fitting on 16V

AHA!
Thanks to Cathy's description and Don's jpeg (kudos, folks) I now know that
my car has been.........ALTERED.....
oh, the humanity.....

Well, the PO musta changed out the insidious pipe with another, equally
pernicious piece, sans fitting for the "roughly U shaped" hose, which I
shall call a "bypass" pipe.

WHY?
sacra bleu!

Hmmmm....what to do?  The plastic one, which is without the extra fitting
makes sense for me, unless I plan to replace that pipe with the "correct"
one.  Do I need the bypass?  I have only questions......

Until the answer comes, I leave you with this little poem:

Oh freddled gruntbuggly
Thy micturations are to me
As plurdled gabbleblotchits on a lurgid bee.
Groop I implore thee, my foonting turlingdromes
And hooptiously drangle me with crinkly bindlewurdles,
Or I will rend thee in the gobberwarts with my blurglecruncheon,
See if I don't!

- Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz