Two new t-stats and new waterpump can't be faulty, right? (8v)

My mk1 had been running quite hot. I noticed that the flow to the radiator
had been pretty meager. Decided that the waterpump should get switched out.
Found one (and a t-stat) on ebay for $20. So, I finally get the opportunity
to install the bugger today and I get no flow (that and makeshift pulley
assembly I had to fab because the STUPID PO used some mish-mosh of pulleys
AND BOLTS (not allens) on the crank pulley!!) I even switched out the t-stat
for another new one I had lying around.
Nothing. Is drilling the t-stat recommended for 8v's too?

Definitely!

I drill 2 small holes in all my thermostats.

Is the ebay WP new?

Peter
http://thescirocco.com/

Please! Include the previous text in your reply...