WWOT: Brian's Life

Hi all, just a way OT update on a cool thing that happened this week. It's car oriented and I'm happy about it so I felt like telling everyone.

The owner of my flight school just bought a fuel truck that needs a bit of work, so I offered to trade some wrench time for flight time. He said they already had a guy working on it, but that "they" had a lot of cars they need worked on. He named off two Jag XJ6's, described an XK120, a Morgan, and several others. I told him it sounds like quite a collection, and he revealed that his partner is a bail bondsman, and she gets cars as collateral quite often. They are interested in using me to get them running or restored as needed so they can sell them. They are in no rush, which works for me and will keep them from using a higher priced real mechanic, and I can take flight time as payment for a while, at least.

We talked on for a while about my qualifications - a couple of cars built from scratch, lots of wrenching on my drivers, and a show winning Model A Ford restoration. Then I asked him how many cars we are talking about. His partner has over 100 cars like this!!

So I just wanted to share my excitement over the opportunity before it all fizzles out and dissapears or something. This would help me fill in the gaps between my engineering contract work (about 15-20 hours per week) and taking care of my two-year-old and the baby boy expected in May (~2000 hours per week).

Since that conversation I have been putting plans for the new garage in high gear.  How does 1500 sq.ft. with a lift and a full downdraft paintbooth sound?  Been planning that for a while and I think its time to get that done regardless of how the job offer thing turns out.  Good thing land in Texas is cheap!  --also good that my wife has a steady job ;o

Anyway, just having an interesting day or two and wanted to share.

Brian