RE: Radiator problem.

Greg wrote:
> I forgot to mention - this occured after a night
> of record cold - it was 14 deg. when I got up at
> 4 am..  Aren't there things called freeze plugs?
> I didn't see mention of them after a 3 minute look
> in my bently.. Could this be anything?

Cathy responded:
Your antifreeze is okay isn't it? Pure water isn't
what you want in there
in the winter. Ask my son how I know this.

--
Cathy

Hell, you can ask me why water in the radiator is a bad idea. Last weekend
the entire cooling system on my bunny truck froze solid. Only 2L of original
VW phosphate-free anti-freeze was not enough to keep my coolant in a liquid
state in the great state of Vermont. Luckily after a short tow to the Arms
compound I was able to thaw out the car and add another 2L of anti-freeze
before doing any damage.

Greg, I would suspect a bad thermostat or an un-burped system. After running
the car up to 3/4 to 7/8 hot, see which hoses are warm and full of coolant.
All hoses should be full of coolant, if not the system has not been burped,
which could be causing the thermostat not to open. If all are full of fluid
but the radiator and/or upper radiator hose are not real hot, then the
thermostat is not opening for it's own reasons.

-Marc

'83 VW Scirocco California Edition
'84 VW GTI Bunny Truck
'87 VW Scirocco 16v