Non scirocco: Radiator problem.

Greg's radiator thread prompted me to relate my tempo's cooling issues.

There are 8 dashes on my temp gauge. 1 being the blue and 8 being red. The car normally runs at about 3, but the reservoir tank is always empty. Even after filling it to the correct line it will just leak out and return to empty. So ok, it runs fine with no antifreeze in the reservoir. But once in a while, while idling in traffic, or the drive through, it will rise up to 7. I can turn the heater on and roll down the windows and it will hover around 6. We recently had a temperature gauge (one that controls fuel) replaced as it was stuck at -32F.

Any ideas?

--
	--Jacob Hawes
Cars: