was Re: Radiator problem now Evans Coolant

From: GGehrke <ggehrke@gmail.com>

> > > Mine won't have any water in it.  I will be running Evans waterless
> > > coolant.  Good for 375 degrees on the top side and minus 40 on the
> > > bottom.
> > > Another joins the faithful...  :)
> >
> > I went and checked the evans website briefly (I'm in class at the
> > moment =P ) and got the impression that you virtually never have to
> > change your coolant...  is that correct?  pretty sweet deal if that's
> > the case!
> >
> > May have just won over another convert.
> >
> > -Grant-
> > Correct, lifetime shtuff....

Metal vs. metal-reinforced...

Each car that I have seen that had the metal-reinforced H/G went away within say a year.  While those with the ABA-type H/G (solid sheets of metal with some sort of plastic (?) coating) have no trouble regardless of the mileage or abuse...

David

So I've been running the Evans coolant almost a year. Likes: Cheaper in the long run, as it is lifetime. Claims to be better cooling in the cylinder head, as it doesn't vaporize on hotspots or run the risk of boiling over. Non-water, non-corrosive. Low Pressure. Easier on the environment.

Dislikes: Difficult to find a dealer. My engine runs overall hotter, as evidenced by oil temps... 20*F plus hotter than before... and I run full synthetic. Coolant needle has a tendency to go towards the stratosphere, especially summertime stop-and-go traffic. Yikes! Never boils over, tho. More expensive in the short term - US $25/gal, which by itself isn't so bad, (premium antifreeze isn't cheap anyway) but it's used undiluted, so 2 gals are necessary to purchase for a full install. Conversion - not mechanical, per se, but you must take steps to flush the conventional stuff out completely before changing over... what I did was drain coolant, run and drain a radiator flush, fill with distilled water, run, drain, fill with sierra coolant 100% (similar formula, but optional step), run, drain, fill with Evans, run to hot with cap off for any remaining water to boil away. For whatever bleeping reason, there's no draincock at the bottom of the coolant system on our cars, so draining is always a messy proposition. Though my unmodified 2.0 16V engine had a slight preexisting oil leak at the head gasket, I've not noticed any changes in its condition since Evans was introduced to the system. Would like to go to metal someday, regardless.

I think it's benefits outweigh the cons, but I feel my plan to add an external oil cooler to do the coolant's job is a bit daft!

- Camron from Vancouver, WA USA
  '86.5 Black 16V 2.0L