Re: Fuel lines

From what I've read on fuel line replacement. You just need to drop the steering rack not the engine. Also I think it's possible to just add a section with fittings in between. So if the engine to firewall line was ok you could just cut it and add new line back to the fuel pump. I'm not an expert though. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
Matt
1981 Mars Red
1987 8v Auto
Louisville, KY

-------Original Message-------
From: "Julie Macfarlane" <juliemac57@hotmail.com>
Subject: Fuel lines
Sent: 13 Mar 2005 02:10:18

 Yes another tale of woe from Julie  :)
 First the cause, then the solution and the future....
With MPG dropping to 20MPG, and a smell of fuel with in the car, I decided
 to check out the car.
 When the engine is running I saw fuel running from the front of the rear
 pass wheel. Not good.
 The fuel line runs via a rubber hose to the fuel accumulator. From there,
 via a flex pipe to the main metal line to the front.
 I replaced the rusted line after cutting with a tube cutter and using high
 pressure fuel line. No leaks but...
The fuel line complete, runs along the bottom of the car after going ove the
 trailing arm, through a small hole and then into the eng compartment.
To replace this the trailing arm would need to be dropped and the engine
 removed. Not practicle for most of us. What if a replacement kit could be
 made? A section that could go from the accumulator to the front of the car
 with one join at the firewall. The other section would go from the fuel dist
 to this joint.
With supplies from FunkSoulKitty and the right tools I think that they could
 be made. After all, our cars are getting a BIT old  :) Sound reasonable?
Julie Macfarlane
 "Its not just a car! Its an adventure!"
 1981 MKI 2L 16v w 2Y
 Amsterdam NY