Re: Wheel offsets

From: "Patrick " <pgronau1@cox.net>
Date: 2005/03/17 Thu AM 09:29:44 EST
To: <scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
Subject: Wheel offsets

If I have four wheels all the same width and offset, 15x6.5 38et. The front wheels stick out farther than the rears, by how much do the front wheels stickout farther than the rears? I am trying to determine what size spacers to buy.I want my back wheels to be even with the fronts, or the backs slightly farther out than the fronts. Why are VWs set up like this anyways?

Patrick

IIRC, I believe they do this for high-speed stability.  Also, I believe most cars are built this way, least-wise front wheel drive cars...  I am not sure about vans/trucks...

HTH

David

'83 GTI, Daily Driver...
'87 16V, parts car