Salute the General/ June Jitterbug

Okay, since we can talk about aircraft engines, here's one for you. If you
pull the drain plug on a Pontiac Sunbird and put the ever popular brick on
the go pedal, how long will that engine live "sans oil"? It was the victim
at the Jitterbug yesterday, entered in the "Engine Blow". Last year's was
an 8V Jetta, which blew out it's ignition ditributor off in a rather
dramatic fashion.

Discuss.....

So there was a large group from Ohio there, does everyone in Ohio pledge
allegiance to VWoA or something? They had some amazing cars. Including a
very clean 75 Rocc, best Rocc was a Canadain car (obviously, you didn't get
them in 89), a super clean, original 1989 16V in Flash Silver. I'd like to
see all the 89s ever made, they sure are odd ducks, this one had the
throttle body on the normal side, (unlike the other I'd seen) and for 87 at
least, we didn't get Flash Silver according to the dealer brochure I have
it was Arctic Blue Metallic. Any Canadians have a silver 88? I'm curious
about when they "changed silvers", mine is a very early car, I'm wondering
if the really early ones got leftover 8V paint for the Canadian market.
This one was also a non sunroof/ non AC car, which is unusual for a 16V.

Adam and I were the only mother/son team in the engine tear down, and
despite me having trouble aligning the jugs (heh, I said jugs) on the
assembly part of the event, we came away with some cash. It was fun, and
we've plotted out a strategy for next year. Maybe we'll source out a dead
air cooled block and practice, anyone got one to donate?

It was a good day, you guys (and hot chicks) should come up for next year's
event. There's another really fun event at the end of August too, if
anyone's interested, it's a show with all VW drags, 1/8th mile, and it's
really laid back.

Cathy

PS: 8 minutes, 58 seconds!