run/dies (vanagon)=non scirocco

-----Original Message-----
From: scirocco-l-bounces+fahrvegnugen=cox.net@scirocco.org
[mailto:scirocco-l-bounces+fahrvegnugen=cox.net@scirocco.org]On Behalf Of
SCIROCCO75@aol.com
Sent: Tuesday, June 21, 2005 9:47 PM
To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Subject: Re:run/dies (vanagon)=non scirocco

Hello all and first let me say I truly missed Cincy! I planned and tried but
couldnt make it happen, and since I havent made one yet I consider myself
scum. That being said I will do something else scummy, ask tech questions
about my
vanagon! ( I get no response from Vortex) I just bought a 80'westy that had
sat for a year, and it runs great, except as it warms up begins to cough or
even stall like running out of fuel. The pump looks newer,full tank of new
gas,
excellent tuneup items and engine rebuild 1 year ago. I dont have a fuel
pressure tester but thought I would pick yer brains before I go by one. Many
thanks
and look out for my scirocco next year! Michael

Yours should be aircooled and have the air-flapper for a mass air flow for
that year IIRC.  That said, check the values for the temp sensor on the left
head.  Check when cold, and check when hot, and write me direct.  I think I
have the values you need up there.  Also, make sure that this sensor is good
and tight.  I had a 77 Westy that for some reason that sensor very often
tried to back itself out.  It won't run right unless it is completely
seated.  Also, make sure some dweezil did not put anti-sieze or similar on
the threads, they must be completely clean for the sensor to get the right
temp.  The last possible problem with that might be that the connection
itself is loose, it should be good 'n tight, like a German virgin...

There are all sorts of possbilities of loose ground, bad FI wiring, bad MAF.
The above is the easiest to check and would cause the biggest running
problems if it were the problem...

Cheers,
  David