Subject: Re: Re: Any one know anything about A/C?

That's interesting... The K-car link is very good for those thinking
about converting to 134a.  To do it right it's not especially easy.
They mention some Chrysler specific problems that don't really apply to
us but I'm sure we have others.

John Gates
--
'85 Scirocco
'97 Jetta GLX

-----Original Message-----
From: David Utley <fahrvegnugen@cox.net>
To: Miller, Chris <chris.miller@infofoundry.com>;
scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Sent: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 22:47:32 -0500
Subject: RE: Subject: Re: Re: Any one know anything about A/C?

>From junkscience.com, formerly from the Washington Times, 5/99

There's nothing like scorching hot vinyl seats and rolled down windows
remind one of the dangers of junk science.

Back in 1995, Congress outlawed future U.S. production of the CFC-based
refrigerant R-12 (also know by the trade name Freon), on the theory that
reactive chlorine molecules escaping from leaking automobile air
conditioners were attacking and degrading the Earth's protective ozone
layer, creating holes that allowed dangerous ultraviolet (UV) radiation
reach the planet's surface unfiltered.

The problem with this theory is that the chlorine molecules in Freon are
heavier than air; they settle to the ground upon release - many tens of
thousands of feet below the ozone layer.

And even if they didn't, natural processes release exponentially more
chlorine into the surrounding air than anything done by the hand of
man. For
example, the eruption of Mount Pinatubo in the Philippines generated
more
chlorine in a few short hours than if all the man-made CFCs in the world
were vented en masse.

But junk science prevailed; Freon was banned. The automakers quickly
switched over to a replacement refrigerant (R-134a) beginning with their
1995 and newer models. This new refrigerant is not nearly as efficient
as
Freon, however, and does not cool as well, particularly on extremely hot
days.

In the meanwhile, federal taxes on the remaining stocks of Freon,
combined
with the effects of scarcity, have driven per-pound costs of the stuff
from
around $2 to more than $40. A routine top-off that once cost less than
$50
now can cost $200 or more. What's more, Freon is no longer legally
available
to private individuals; one must be a certified air-conditioning
mechanic
with all the necessary EPA say-sos before one may lawfully buy R-12.

But in a few short years, even certified technicians may not be able to
get
their hands on any Freon; supplies are rapidly dwindling and import
prohibitions prevent repair shops from bringing Freon into the U.S. from
countries where it is still legal to produce it.

Sometime soon, those who own older cars will face having to do without
air
conditioning - or pony up for an expensive retrofit kit to convert
their car
to the new refrigerant, R-143a. The cost for the changeover is typically
$500-$1,000 or more.

All because of junk science purveyed by reportorial know-nothings in the
media who prefer a good scare story to checking out their facts.
Remember
that next time you burn your behind on those hot vinyl seats.
Some interesting details here at the beginning of this thread...

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:YbDEtqZ4dYAJ:www.allpar.com/eek/ac.html
+freon+myth&hl=en

More here...

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:ujfUgLSgYq4J:acuf.org/issues/issue27/05
0105gov.asp+freon+myths&hl=en

The above one is long, but illustrates some of the reasons why there is
misinformation on R12 and R134...

Granted, posting a link from a gov. site would hold more water than the
links I have listed, but what IF we say is true?  That the gubmint is
in on
the scam to help DuPont make more money?  Would it be the first time?
No.
Is it plausible?

David