Subject: Re: Re: Any one know anything about A/C?

> From: "Miller, Chris" <chris.miller@infofoundry.com>
> Date: 2005/06/21 Tue AM 07:59:26 EDT
> To: "David Utley" <fahrvegnugen@cox.net>,
> 	<scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
> Subject: RE: Subject: Re: Re: Any one know anything about A/C?
>
> Don't need to start a war on this but wow, dude, that second link is
> pretty far out there.  The Junkscience web page is, too.

Did you see that the junkscience link was a reprint from a Washington paper?

> More mainstream:
> http://www.popsci.com/popsci/science/article/0,20967,197325,00.html
> http://www.nsf.gov/pubs/1999/nsf98106/98106htm/nsf98106m7.html
> http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2002/06/020606075647.htm

>From the above link...

"It's hard to tell if those great international agreements [to ban CFCs] work if we don't understand the other big things that are going on in the stratosphere, such as increases in greenhouse gases and water vapor," Shindell said. The stratosphere is a dry atmospheric layer between 6 and 30 miles (9.7 and 48.3 kilometers) up where most ozone exists...

> They didn't ban "r12", they banned production of chlorofluorocarbons for
> commercial use.  Besides the R12, there are lots more products,
> including a lot of the aerosol propellants and certain insulating foam
> products.

They banned selling producing it for sale, more directly.  So effectively, the production will stop...

> BTW, I've got an undergraduate degree in Environmental Science, and a
> masters in Chemical Engineering, specializing in Hazardous Waste
> Management.  You'd be amazed at the amount of science dedicated to
> studying this subject; and the amount of political pandering in
> misrepresenting it.

Yeah, I have seen the amount of arguments on the topic, and it is dense...  I will let this argument (in the philosophical sense) drop with this idea; since they do not understand the natural cycles of ozone depletion, to begin to think that we are the biggest cause for it and that we need to do something about it seems myopic.  But with that, I have revealed my bias on the matter....

> For us VW guys, the cars through the early '90s used R12.  It is legal,
> but expensive, to refill them with R12.  Some places make it illegal to
> fill a leaking system.  If you want to retrofit to R134a, there are
> specific guidelines by VW on what to replace, and what oil to use.  I
> can find the TSB if you'd like.
> Chris

Please.  I will keep it here for the next fella that asks...

I am done until I find the links I keep blathering about...

Cheers,
  David

PS--  With your education, what are you doing for Bentley?

'83 GTI, Daily Driver...
'87 16V, parts car
'82 pickup, 2.0 16V, collecting dust...