Any one know anything about A/C?

As I understand it what will cause the corrosion is moisture, not R134a
itself.  There is always moisture in the air, if the system has been
open to the air it needs to be positively sealed, optimally the
receiver/dryer needs to be replaced (so there is fresh dessicant that
can absorb any tiny bit of moisture in the system) and fully evacuated
for a decent period of time to make sure every tiny bit of air that
could contain moisture is out of the system.  At a high vacuum, around
or under 50 microns, water boils off nicely and comes out of the system
as a gas, but you need a real vacuum pump, cheapest I have found is
just under $200.

There is also something I remember about the mineral oil that worked
with R-12 being incompatible with the PAG oil that you would use in
R-134a.  All oil needs to be drained from the compressor and flushed
out of the rest of the system with a specifically designed flush to
really do it the right way.  Then the correct amount of PAG needs to be
added, the system sealed and properly evacuated and then charged with
R-134a.

It's either the PAG or the R-134a itself that combines with water to
form an extremely corrosive acid.  This is why any time you open a
system or it leaks on its own down to ambient pressure you have to
evacuate it.  Otherwise the system will work great for a few months or
maybe even a couple of years but eventually the acid will eat through
the condenser, evaporator, etc and you will have swiss cheese.  R-12
and the oil they used with it did not have this problem with moisture.

The conversion kits have been reported to work OK but I would bet that
there are varying degrees of success depending on the state of the R-12
system to begin with.  Obviously the results would be better with a
well functioning R-12 system that has not been opened or is otherwise
pristine inside.  And pros HATE to work on systems that were converted
with the magic kits.

I did a lot of reading on this last summer when I bought equipment.
Here is the best concise source of information:

http://www.ackits.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=flush
http://www.autoacforum.com/categories.cfm?catid=20
http://www.autoacforum.com/messageview.cfm?catid=20&threadid=9172
http://www.autoacforum.com/messageview.cfm?catid=20&threadid=7931
http://www.autoacforum.com/messageview.cfm?catid=20&threadid=7927
http://www.autoacforum.com/messageview.cfm?catid=2&threadid=12769

The information I have gotten here seems to agree with everything else
I read on the Internet and the Haynes mobile A/C book I bought.  They
are trying to sell stuff by hosting this forum but the information is
good and there are a lot of people in there who know what they are
doing.

John Gates
--
'85 Scirocco