Crossmember Bars POLL

I got under the 85 with the 16v conversion today. The starter apparently has
died. (good charge on the battery, click click with the ignition) I thought
about trying to push start it but I have had two knee surgeries in the last
year and I don't push like I used to... I removed the starter and performed
the INFAMOUS "mexican jumping starter dance" (that would be a set of jumper
cables on the starter and a jumper...er I mean wire to test to see if the
bendix works or not. I forgot to put my foot on it and scared the shit out
of myself.) The bendix extends and it spins very weakly sometimes not at
all. Jumper wire gets REALLY damn hot really damn quick. So I decided to end
amatuer hour and take it to a FLAPS. I walk in and dude asked me if that was
the turbo from my scirocco. I realized at that point that I was in deep
shit. After discovering what it was he goes to the test bench and punches in
the the code and tells me that he can't test it. So I was like COME ON
MAN!!! There's only four wires... So he hooks up the +12v and the two
smaller wires, (ignition and something else--don't remember off the top of
my head.) and tells the thing to go... As politely as possible I remind
supergenius that it needs a ground. You know how dem dere "turbo's" act when
thays ain't properly grounded.
 So once grounded he hits the button and the bendix extends once again and
then the machine tells us that it is a bad starter. So I still don't have a
warm fuzzy since this guy told me he couldn't test it and he didn't know
what the hell it was, so I asked him to go and get a new one off the shelf
and prove that the machine is doing what it's supposed to. Well he wasn't
"allowed" to do that until I pay for it. So I was like fine, what's the
damage?
 $117 plus a $60 core. I think I stared at him in disbelief for a good 12
seconds. I am thinking: WHY THE FUCK WOULD YOU CHARGE ME A CORE WHEN I HAVE
THE DAMNED THING SITTING IN FRONT OF YOU?!? and then WHY THE FUCK WOULD I
PAY THAT MUCH FOR A STARTER?!? I resisted the urge to shove the starter up
his ass, thanked him with all the nice I could muster, and left. I don't
have that kind of money anyway.
 Anyhow, here's the bottom line of this story. While I was under the car I
took a real hard look at the cross member and I do not see any cracks.
There's a lot of sludge and crap and I wiped it off the best I could but I
still didn't see anything. I was looking from the bottom where the two bolt
for the fwd mount plate are, and didn't see anything. So for the time being
I am safe or is there somewhere else I should look?
 Chris