HVAC Controller

> Sometime last year, I lost the ability to direct air to my feet in
> my '86 16v.  I'm assuming it's a broken/disconnected vacuum line
somewhere,
> since I still have dash and defrost.  I currently have the center console
> apart.  All looks fine there.  To save me the hassle of tracking the lines
> and tearing apart the entire dash, where's the actual controller for air
> direction?  I want to check the vacuum connection at the flap, and a
little
> experienced BTDT from someone would be appreciated.  TIA.

It could also be the little vacuum controller cannister (prolly on the
driver side of the center console above your knees to the right) coming
loose from its bracket.  It has little barbs on its plastic prongs and over
time, these wear out and the controller moves instead of moving anything
else.  Worth a look - easy to do a rig-fix.  I have drilled little holes in
the prongs and pinned them so they stay put.

gd