Question about pass-side motor mount placement on a 86.5 16V

On 2:53:29 pm 06/16/05 "George Brent" <ggbrent@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have had the pass side motor mount recently replaced on my 86.5
> 16V, but the vibration/noise has not diminished (in fact, I think it
> is now worse, and a new vibration mode has certainly appeared out of
> nowhere, when I rev up and between 3200 and 3400rpm).
>
> Looked at the motor mount last night, and it is placed as shown in
> this picture:
> http://www.parts4vws.com/catalog/product_detail.asp?PartNumber=5331992
> 14A
>
> (so, the bolt hole sits closer to the ground, and this seems to make
> sense to me,
> but I am not sure).
>
> Does anyone know for sure whether this is the correct placement of
> the mount, or
> whether it is upside down?  (I have had a mount placed upside down in
> an 8V that I had, so I am very suspicious --the shop admitted their
> fault and put in another
> mount later).
>
> Also:  what else could have caused the increased noise?   Belts too
> tight? Other?
>
> Any ideas are greatly appreciated.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Elias

Depends on the noise, but poorly aligned mounts will put the body into
contact with the exhaust system, in my case it was hitting the rear axle
where it passes over it, and also striking the front sway bar when the
engine was above a certain rpm. Clues to the point of contact are shiny or
flat spots worn onto the offending parts. It cleared up when I did the
clutch, I resettled the engine well before tightening the motor mounts.

Cathy