Crossmember Bars POLL

I'm adding it to my race car for sure. Not that my crossmember has cracked
in 22 years of the car being raced & running a poly front mount to boot.

Eric is right, the bar *looks* slightly ghetto but the function is what
matters & even if it helps a little on the handling side but keeps the car
together for many more years to come I'd say it's worth all $165.00 that
Eric charges.

In my experience the MK2's have WAY more issues with the crossmember
cracking than the MKI's....Seems like VW went to a thinner metal in the
front end of the 84-85 & later cars.

Larry, you have some valid engineering points....but.....I've seen what
happened to Kevin Collins 16v & after Ron Wood made a weld in style bar for
Kevin's car that looks like Eric's bar Kevin's car has had no more problems
at all in like 4-5 years & he's running a pretty stout 2.0 16v with cams,
etc..... So, something's working right somewhere.

So for what it's worth the bars like Eric's seem to help the problem. Plus
it's not like there is another bar that someone else made to compare....so
all we have is theory.

I have the bar off my car for now(waiting for me to get done painting the
engine compartment) if you want to see it in person before I install it.

my $.02

Mike Potter
Virtual World Parts Inc.
Sales@parts4vws.com