Pulling bearing race off hubs?

-----Original Message-----
From: scirocco-l-bounces+fahrvegnugen=cox.net@scirocco.org
[mailto:scirocco-l-bounces+fahrvegnugen=cox.net@scirocco.org]On Behalf Of
Neal Tovsen
Sent: Tuesday, June 14, 2005 9:39 PM
To: Scirocco-L
Subject: Pulling bearing race off hubs?

Anybody got any tricks for removing a wheel bearing race that came off
with the hub? I'd rather not get new hubs if I don't have to...

Neal
'77 Scirocco twin-screw

Neal,
  I have had to use a torch and a three-finger puller before.  It was
tedious in the least.  Nearly two hours of fumbling go the job done.
However, it might be quicker/easier to go to the machine shop or Goodyear
(as they do suspensions all day long).
BTW, on the torch I would recommend Oxy/Acetylene.  I have tried it with a
propane Bernzomatic-type torch, and that does not seem nearly as capable of
producing the heat needed for most jobs...
David