Cutting up my 84 turbo!

I've had it!

There's no place to put a radiator for my water-to-air intercooler.
So, I'm thinking about cutting out the front crossmember, replace it with a
small tube frame and cut a hole in the front valence as an additional air
intake.
That way I'll have space for the 26" X 5" X 1.5" thick core and the frame
will be open enough to flow air past the core.
So far I've made no modifications to the chassis of my car that are not
easily reversible.
This would be a big step then.

Anybody think I'm an idiot for contemplating this?
Dan