OFFLIST; Crossmember Bars

I just wanted to add <.02 to this.

Back when Eric first came out with this bar he said he was going to test it
by jacking up the front of the car by the crossmember bar only.
At that time I did some calculations that I unfortunately no longer have and
I'm not inclined to do them again.
Bear in mind these were simplified approximations, but they indicated that
it wouldn't be a good idea to test the bar this way because there was no
doubt the bar would fail under that weight. The calculations also indicated
the bar was much less stiff in vertical deflection than the stock INTACT
front crossmember.

Having said all that adding any kind of stiffness or strength to a
damaged/cracked front crossmember is a help.

My personal belief is that front crossmember cracking is mostly a result of
side motor mounts sagging and putting far more weight, and a continuous
weight at that, on the front mount than it was intended to carry. The side
motor mount design isn't very good and they really should be replaced every
couple years and front and rear mounts adjusted once a year at least.

Into the realm of personal opinion, just because Larry doesn't have the best
bedside manner (look who's talking ;^) doesn't mean the points he makes are
invalid.
As for David I would far prefer that he slipped up on occasion and sent
pictures of good looking naked women to the list instead of this particular
fubar. ;^P

Moving on, I'm thinking about removing my entire front crossmember and
replacing it with a frame. Mostly I just need the space and open airflow to
accomodate all the coolers I need on my turbo engine. Little hesitant since
my car is so pristine ;^)

my <.02
Dan