Hot, Hot, HOt!!

>------------------------------
>
>Message: 2
>Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2005 11:00:02 -0400
>From: "C Boyko" <roccit_53@scirocco.cs.uoguelph.ca>
>Subject: Re: Hot, Hot HOt!! (suggestion to bring doen the oil Temp)
>To: "Neptuno" <neptunonc@yahoo.com>
>Cc: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
>
>On 1:15:55 am 06/12/05 Neptuno <neptunonc@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >

> > Standard advice in the past was to add an oil to air cooler and 180F
> > thermo controlled sandwich plate. Could be a holdover practice from
> > aircooled cars which were notorious oil cookers, but they were
> > considered absolutely essential for any tweaked motor. Drake, among
> > others, recommended them even for stock applications.
> >
> > http://pws.prserv.net/gforbess/scirocco/cooler.jpg
> >
> > I don't see much talk about any kind of oil coolers here. Does that
> > little joke of an oil/water cooler gizmo really do anything? I see
> > Potter doesn't even sell a real oil cooler.
> >

> > Gordon,
> >
> > is that the 240 Volvo intercooler that you have on that picture? In
> > anycase how much more oil is needed in the car to make the pressure
> > costant? or does the stock levels apply?
> > Thank you,
> >
> > El Tony
> >

>I'd be curious to see how that Volvo bit installs too, I have one here in a
>box (for Klaus at some point).
>I run some water wetter, keep the mix from being too lean, and have added
>some aluminum baffles to direct flow of air through, not around the rad.
>(the original firbrous ones seem to vanish) There's also the low temp
>thermostat/fan switch IIRC, that was ages ago, and the beautiful Passat
>twin fans (a nice direct bolt on, five minutes tops). And a nice fresh O
>ring on the "cooler". Anyway, she ran an oil temp around 104 on the trip
>home from Cincy in the heat, not bad for a 16V. Whatever I did, it seems to
>be working. Knock wood...
>Cathy
>

>------------------------------

One thing to look at also would be: Where are you getting the high
temperatures from?

I seem to recall that the factory oil temp guage generally reads high. On my
85, it was always around 130 or so and would climb if under load or really
pushing the car.  The water temp never really increased much, but you might
check the sending unit for the guage. Don't assume that just because the
guage reads hot that it really is. The guage may be misreading.

I have since added an air-oil cooler with the sandwich adapter and now oil
temps stay around 100-110 even if pushing it. So even if the guage was
running high, it now runs much cooler with the added oil cooler. Increased
capacity by about 1/2 quart as well so now there is a little more oil to
bear the heat.

Just something to think about.