Acid Dipping Engines

On 6/10/05, Brian Haygood <haygood@myway.com> wrote:

> What kind of acid is used to clean engines and such?  Put more generally, what kinds of acids will eat everything on the planet except steel and aluminum?

Most machine shops that hot tank engines and heads these days use a
"friendlier" strong alkaline solution.  Doing research on chemically
stripping car bodies led me to believe that most facilities that
"tank" cars also use a strong alkaline solution vs. acid as well...

What the chemicals are, I have no idea - but I will be talking to my
former boss (automotive machine shop) this week about boring my ABA
block, and I'll ask him what he uses...

Later,

Mark.
75