From: scirocco-l-bounces+rfkellner=snet.net@scirocco.org
[mailto:scirocco-l-bounces+rfkellner=snet.net@scirocco.org] On Behalf Of
John Gates
Sent: Thursday, July 28, 2005 11:08 AM
To: rhock99@epix.net; scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Subject: Re: Brake line removal/repair/replacement (something?) help

You can absolutely flare a line while it's on the car as long as you
have some room, it's just a bigger PITA.

The bubble flare is the VW/euro factory flare, and the double flare is
an american car factory flare.  As confusing as the names sound they're
two completely separate flares

A bubble flare obviously just sort of buckles the circumference of the
tube outwards near the tip of the line, leaving the very tip of the
line the same diameter but flaring it out just back from the tip,
something like this:

/  \
\  /

And obviously it seats thus (omitting the nut):

 |   |
//  \\
 \  /

A double flare (also called an inverted flare) is basically two steps,
something that looks very similar to the bubble flare formed with the
same sort of method, then a shallow cone is forced into the end of the
flare tip first, pushing the tip inside sort of "outside-in".  The
result is more like a normal single flare used in plumbing, but with
some properties that are much stronger in a high vibration, high
pressure usage:

\\//
 | |

The double flare seats thus, again omitting the line nut:

 |     |
/\\\///\
   |  |

Both work fairly well in their intended usage, I think the bubble flare
might be a little better dealing with vibration but I am not sure.

Here are some pictures of double flares being made:

http://www.pharmacy.arizona.edu/staff/wunz/NoABSTCS/DoubleFlare.html

On that page there is one picture of both a bubble flare on the left
and a double flare on the right:

http://www.pharmacy.arizona.edu/staff/wunz/NoABSTCS/MakeFlare/bubbleandi
nvertedflare.jpg

This is the tool I was raving about:

http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/otc4504.html

The one I have works perfectly and it's the cheapest one out there.

As far as a union, I think this is what you want, probably available at
a NAPA or other decent non-autozone type parts store (a store that
supplies professional mechanics):

http://www.fmsiinc.com/search/default2.asp?keyword=3044

This way you can just buy a bubble flaring tool and keep all flares on
the car the same.  I just mentioned the Ford thing because it's proof
that a factory would use something like this instead of those
compression unions.

HTH, I found all this out after spending a crapload of time
researching...

John Gates
--
'97 Jetta GLX