Re-96 Jetta.

Can't see your pic, but take it from someone that has parted out umpteen
VWs, and sold just as many.  Bolt in the 1.8, and sell it complete, being
completely upfront with people that it has a 1.8 instead of the 2.0.  Even
with a 1.8 you should be able to sell it for $500 and someone would still be
getting a good deal.  As long as the trans doesn't completely fail.  The 1.8
will fit fine.  All the bosses and everyting should fit fine, except the
distributor on the audi has a different sized hole and drive gear.  The
drive gears are swappable (drill out the pin, swap gears, new pin).  I think
a dizzy from a knock-sensor or digi 1.8 should work with the Audi in the 1.8
block, but I haven't done it so not 100%.

The Audi ATs suck too, but they made a million more of them, and they don't
seem to be quite as failure-prone.  I would see about getting the trans
"power-flushed" at a transmission shop.  Don't know if that would  fix the
problem, but it couldn't hurt to try and get as much old crud out of there
as possible.   A buddy with a 91 Passat 2.0 16V drove the auto trans for
months and months that the prev owner said was bad.  It didn't have 2nd
gear, but it drove fine until he swapped in a manual.

gd

<http://f2.pg.briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/ydrogstedman/lst?.dir=/1990+AUDI+80&.or
der=&.view=l&.src=bc&.done=http%3a//f2.pg.briefcase.yahoo.com/>

I am having a hard time wanting to tear apart such a good car just for
it's block but I the 3A is the best swap and are hard to come by.
Plus the manual says that it only has 9 more hp and 15 more torque
than my RV 1.8L.  I do not know if a '90 Audi AT is as crappy as the
VW as everyone has explained and that is what is wrong with it.  I
will dive into it tomorrow and hopefully get some answers.  I have an
idea of taking out the 2.0L and replacing it with the 1.8L from the
rocco and selling the Audi but I do not think any of the 1.8L will
fit.  Can't wait for tomorrow!