Re-96 Jetta.

I found one looking through the thrifties($200 or less) in the
Oregonian today.   I come across an add for an '90 Audi 80 2.0l AT
needs work (sound familiar).  Call the guy and it is 5 minutes away
and go to see if it is worth trailering home.  I have been looking for
a 2.0L for a while and seen a lot of ABAs for $300-$400 and been
holding out for a good deal.  So the opportunity for a 3A for $200
with the entire car is a steal.  Just have to find a way to sell all
the usable parts and ditch the shell.  Well turns out the car ran and
drove and everything worked.  Everything was there and the body is in
exceptional shape.  Even the interior was emasculate.  Sunroof works,
power everything, cruise control, alarm and decent tires.  So gave the
dude $200, he signed the title over and drove it off.  It smoked a
little and the tranny was empty on fluid but hew said the car was
sitting for 3 months.  Stopped at Safeway and put quart of ATF in it
and made it home.  Here are some picts I took:

<http://f2.pg.briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/ydrogstedman/lst?.dir=/1990+AUDI+80&.order=&.view=l&.src=bc&.done=http%3a//f2.pg.briefcase.yahoo.com/>

I am having a hard time wanting to tear apart such a good car just for
it's block but I the 3A is the best swap and are hard to come by.
Plus the manual says that it only has 9 more hp and 15 more torque
than my RV 1.8L.  I do not know if a '90 Audi AT is as crappy as the
VW as everyone has explained and that is what is wrong with it.  I
will dive into it tomorrow and hopefully get some answers.  I have an
idea of taking out the 2.0L and replacing it with the 1.8L from the
rocco and selling the Audi but I do not think any of the 1.8L will
fit.  Can't wait for tomorrow!

--
Gordy
High Res Picts (if site is working)