Hella H4 low beam as high beam?

On 7:33:46 am 07/14/05 "Rick Kellner" <rfkellner@snet.net> wrote:
> I have acquired two sets of Hella low beam kits.  The kits contain the
> US style rectangular glass lenses, boot, wire harness.  Since the
> lights are both high and low beam can one set be used as the high
> beams?  I realize that the wiring will be different; basically the
> low beam conductor will not be used.  Next a high beam bulb will be
> used in place of the dual low/high beam bulb.
> So do you think it will work (i.e. project the light) properly?

I'd say yes, but I'll go out and take a look at mine (which reminds me,
they need aiming) Anyway, on my MkI I have hella H4 outers and the sealed
equivalent as inners, I have the inner lows on a switch so I can do four
lows when it won't piss anyone off. They are bright.

Now on the MkIIs quad rectangles, the lens on the H1 is different, the logo
that says "H1" (and the centre of the lens) is a bit higher up, and there's
no inner dome ( which must be a mirror??) in the H1. Which probably means
you'd have trouble using the H1 as a low beam. Now I wonder how important
the filament position is in the bulb itself?

Cathy