Post your most ingenious hack

Driving from Colorado Springs, CO to Dubuque, IA in a 1986 Quantum Syncro
Wagon.  Left at around 4:30am.  Leaving the Springs, it was a bit dark and
foggy, so I had the lights on, the rear window defrost, the defogger-blower
(which uses the AC) and the stereo, and the wipers.  All of a sudden, the
wippers, headlights, and blower motor stopped.

Crap.  That really sucks.  Ah, sun is coming up and I will be moving fast so
the blower motor doesn't really matter.  If I can get there before dark, the
headlights won't matter either...

I knew I couldn't do that, but I still tried.  Good effort and poor mileage
aside, I stopped in Des Moines, IA at a truck stop, about 4 hrs from Dubuque
to see about making the headlights work, as they are all a person really
needs at night.  I bought some wire and ran it from the battery positive
terminal straight to each low-beam connector on the back of the headlight
bulbs.  Headlights worked.  No fuses, no switches.  But, it got me home and
I popped the hood and pulled the wires and replaced the ignition switch the
next day.  Drive back to CO was much less eventful.

gd