Coolant Temp/Syn Oil

oil temp is fine, its just the coolant level that i'm concerned about.  And
i just noticed today that it got really hot in the rain when i drove through
a big puddle, the alt light came on aswell.  I think the alt is due for
replacing along with the battery. But does this have anything to d with he
high coolant temp? Could a bad alternator be putting more strain on the
engine causing the coolant temp to rise? I'm not a mechanic but it seem
logical.