OT: Very short notice airline tickets

In my experience, when you try to use this, they give you a discount,
but only of the full price of the ticket, which is generally more than
what you would have to pay anyway.  I was amazed at how expensive my
ticket was when I flew out to CA for my grandfather's funeral.  You
also have to have a death certificate fax'd to the airline, etc.  I
think, in the end, I just went with the cheapest I could find online.