Way OT...Any RC aircraft people on the list?

You can mount them upside down, sideways, or backwards.  It won't make a
difference.

The model engine carbs use the vacuum of the engine to draw in fuel, not
gravity.  There is also a slight pressure from the exhaust that runs to the
tank, this helps some, but is not strictly necessary. (they will run without
the pressure line, just not as well)

Someone at your local flying field will be able to demonstrate the "point
plane straight up" method for testing mixture.  When the mixture is set
correctly, the engine performance won't change with orientation to the
ground.

Airplane guys are normally happy to help a beginner.

Dan Brideau
http://www.skidweeb.com/