serious engine trouble

On 10:55:10 am 07/07/05 "scas660@netzero.com" <scas660@netzero.com> wrote:

> Over the July 4th weekend my 86 16V broke down out of state (its in
> PA). While driving about 35mph the engine died with a thump. Sounded
> like a part of the timing belt mechanism but I looked under the timing
> belt cover and all seemed OK to the eye. However, nothing turns when I
> try to start the car even though the starter and battery seem to be
> doing their job. If anyone has any thoughts or if you know of anything
> that commonly breaks in that part of the engine, I'd appreciate any
> help. I'd hate to have to tow it back to NY or, even worse, junk it!
> Thanks, Steve

Not the keyway on the crank pulley is it? I'd imagine that could cause some
clunks of a serious nature, and leave the belt intact. Is there iol in it?
I toasted my Firebird's 350 once when the oil pressure dropped to nadda and
the connecting rod snapped. No oil would do the same thing I'd imagine,
though I've not heard of that in our engines. Don't scrap it, upgrade the
engine if it's toast....that's what I did, though my bad keyway just made
the timing all nutso.

Cathy