serious engine trouble

Over the July 4th weekend my 86 16V broke down out of state (its in PA). While driving about 35mph the engine died with a thump. Sounded like a part of the timing belt mechanism but I looked under the timing belt cover and all seemed OK to the eye. However, nothing turns when I try to start the car even though the starter and battery seem to be doing their job. If anyone has any thoughts or if you know of anything that commonly breaks in that part of the engine, I'd appreciate any help. I'd hate to have to tow it back to NY or, even worse, junk it!

Thanks, Steve

Get NetZero Platinum for as low as $6.95/month!
Visit http://www.netzero.com/bestoffer to sign up today!