electrical problem

--- Julie Macfarlane <juliemac57@hotmail.com> wrote:

> No. Just the lower plastic cover. A small 1mm hole needs
> to be drilled so
> that the retaining pin can be depressed.
> It was one of the first things I learned on my car. 1/2
> hour to 45 minutes
> at most and the switch is done.

Ummm, actually he would need to replace the electrical
portion of the switch, not the lock cylinder.  Easiest way
I've found to do it is to disconnect the negative battery
cable, then pull the steering wheel, turn signal stalks and
then the casting this all bolts to - it comes off the
steering column with one allen screw.  Look behind it and
there's a small Phillips screw holding the electrical
switch into the casting.  Replace the switch, and then
installation is the reverse of removal.  (You will need the
key in the lock cylinder to get past the steering lock
mechanism when sliding the casting back onto the steering
column.)

15 minutes, tops.

I would double check the main battery cable and especially
the ground cable(s) first though....

Daun Yeagley - Wilmington Ohio
'81 Scirocco S               '85 Scirocco 8v
'86 Scirocco 8v              '88 Scirocco 16v
'88 Scirocco Slegato *coming soon*
'96 Passat GLX Wagon         '56 Cessna 172