Octane

Matt,
  Good link, lots of interesting details there, including this bit just
below where you stopped...

'It might seem odd that fuels with higher octane ratings burn less easily,
yet are popularly thought of as more powerful. Using a fuel with a higher
octane allows an engine to be run at a higher compression ratio without
having problems with knock. Compression is directly related to power, so
engines that require higher octane usually deliver more power. Some
high-performance engines are designed to operate with a compression ratio
associated with high octane numbers, and thus demand high-octane petrol. It
should be noted that the power output of an engine also depends on the
energy content of its fuel, which bears no simple relationship to the octane
rating. Some people believe that adding a higher octane fuel to their engine
will increase its performance or lessen its fuel consumption. This is
false - engines perform best when using fuel with the octane rating they
were designed for.'

I don't know how to answer, except to say that my experience is not backing
up what they have said.  Perhaps because this engine is nearly as much an
oil burner as it is gas, perhaps because my throttle only has two positions,
I dunno.  While the ass-dyno gets a bad name for being inconsistent and
biased (esp. my ass-dyno), I have had other ass-dynos confirm my findings
too, for what it is worth...

I will continue searching for more details, I am more confused now...

David