Some Scirocco 16V Questions

>From: "GREG DUNN" <greggearhead@adelphia.net>
>To: "Jason Miller" <sciroccodriver@hotmail.com>,<scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
>Subject: Re: Some Scirocco 16V Questions
> > Thanks for the feedback everyone.
> >
> > Who on this list is running cams on a 2L 16V, and which cams are you
> > running?
> >
> > This car will be my daily driver, so I don't want to mung around with
>the
> > low end too much, but I'd like to get as solid of a gain as I can
>without
> > affecting the drivability too much.
>
>I am not running cams yet, but it sounds like you are a prime candidate for
>a Euro intake cam.  Have you done the other mods - exhaust, intake, etc.?
>plan on using an exhaust cam as an intake with a vernier internal gear to
>be
>able to time it correctly.
>
>To be honest, a port and polish that is well done will give you approx the
>gain of some good cams, but without the powerband shift and soft low end.
>Another benefit is that if you do go to cams, a ported head makes better
>use
>of them.

The head is already ported and polished. Nothing done to intake or exhaust
yet. Would like to throw on a full exhaust, but it looks like about a grand+
for the exhaust manifold through to the tailpipe.

AFAIK, the only thing that I can do for instake is throw in a K&N (which
I'll be doing for sure), as I'm not aware of any other mods on the intake
side for the Scirocco 16V.

There seems to be a consensus that the 276's (I was looking at some TT
276's) are outstanding. They seem like a pretty intense lift; this doesn't
affect the low end that much?