Fuel economy and improving it, among other things.

Grant - not free but...

1.  Install that 5 speed - will make a huge difference.  I can't believe the
difference in cruising speed/rpm in the Dasher going from 4 spd to 5 spd.  I
can cruise at 85mph now quietly where before it was buzzy at 70mph.

2.  Exhaust - anything that improves power/VE should improve mileage.  A 2"
mandrel bent would be fine.  A better downpipe from techtonics helps too.
This is horsepower waiting to be uncorked - like 10+.

3.  Open up the airbox inlet - however you prefer (not starting the debate
over swiss-cheesed or one big inlet etc, just know it is the most
restrictive part of the VW CIS intake.)

4.  A large throttle body match ported to your intake (won't help light
throttle much, but getting rid of the restrictor in your primary butterfly
would help).

5.  Do a really complete tuneup.  Cap, rotor, plugs (I second the NGK copper
suggestion), wires, -you did the air filter, and try synthetic oil.  Heck,
buy the cheapest store-brand fully synthetic you can get.  Worth a try.
(Syn blends are usually only around 5-10% IIRC).

Really, that 5 speed will be the biggest difference.  I bet if you drove 55
instead of 65 with that trans you would get over 30.

gd

1.8 8V (swapped in by PO) which is, I guess, CIS-lambda (has O2
sensor) with original 4spd tranny.  I have a 5spd in my other car that
I might swap this fall.

> Last, get some lowering springs so the nose of your car isn't up in the
air
> causing all the air to go under the car and cause a lot of extra drag ;^)

yea yea, i know.